This Mommy Runs on Caffeine

This Mommy Runs on Caffeine

April 8, 2009

Being sick sucks. Being pregnant and sick is beyond horrible!

I am fortunate enough to be a relatively healthy person aside from the usual allergies; however, when I get sick, it's usually a humdinger. I think it's been years since I had a cold that has kept me in bed, so as Murphy's Law dictates, as soon as I'm pregnant and have tons to do I get a viral infection that makes me feel like death warmed over. As first I thought it was allergies as it's that time of year and since all of the trees and flowers are pollenating (hmmm... like me?!) I'm used to living on allergy medicine. Thank goodness it's 'safe' in the second trimester. So, Sunday morning, I take my usual medicine and I'm still not feeling better after a lovely serving of french toast from IHOP, and I crawl into bed until we are going for our picnic. Five hours later, I wake up and a bulldozer has hit me: my nose and eyes are running like a faucet, headache, you name it, although it still feels like allergies on steriods.
For most people, a good dose of Nyquil helps- for Pregnant Chick you can take exactly four things: Tylenol, Sudafed, Robitussin DM, and saline nasal spray. Unfortunately this little cocktail doesn't do the one thing I need it to do and thats knock my arse out so I can sleep it off. Not to mention, I am trying to not take medicine unless absolutely necessary because of BabyW. I did get some decent rest on Sunday and woke up Monday with a fever- not good when you're pregnant. Luckily Tylenol and a cool shower lowers it and I go back to bed and wake up with this dang thing moving into my chest. It's like a shapechanger! I went to the doctor and they said it's a viral infection and should clear up on it's own. Here's the kicker: since I'm pregnant, it takes longer to get better (my body is naturally fighting off the cold to keep BabyW safe) and I'm an afterthought! So, here it is four days later, cold sores have erupted on 3/4 of my mouth and I'm still in bed and have watched most of the Law & Order and CSI recordings off of my DVR! I wish I could say I've gotten in some good reading time, but I don't even have the energy to hold up a magazine or book to enjoy. Okay, so that's the end of my pity party.... I just had to share with the web world how much fun it is to be preggers and sick! I can say that my awesome husband took good care of me and I am feeling a little better today and it's just in time to enjoy a visit from mom for Easter and her birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!