This Mommy Runs on Caffeine

This Mommy Runs on Caffeine

September 9, 2009

Three Weeks Already?????

Baby Kiera has been with us for 17 (umm.. now it's 22... blogging takes on a whole new timeline when you are the Mommy of a newborn!) whole days now... it feels like just 17 hours...the time has just rushed by... like they say: time flies when you're having fun!  Warp speed actually began when we were in the hospital- the 48 hours that we spent there with Baby Kiera was very surreal and special.  Every moment was amazing- and we actually relished the idea of being cocooned in there with just each other and our little baby and the occassional fan club member.  (The 'room service' and nurses attention and help wasn't too bad either.... although I could have done without the thrice daily hoo-hoo check!! LOL)  Being out of touch with every day life was a nice change of pace after the ordeal of labor and delivery and believe it or not, we barely turned on the TV- it was enough enterainment just to watch Kiera!  However, once it was time to go home- I was ready to go home... and that has been about the only time so far that has draaaaaged by!  ( :

The first day we had Kiera home, we actually had to take her to meet her pediatrician. Thank goodness Grandma H reminded us to take the DIAPER BAG!! (Mommy needs to make a 'leaving the house' checklist!) Her one day check up was fabulous, and even better- we love, love, love her pediatrician!  (Until she sticks the poor kid w/ a needle, I'm sure!)  Unfortunately, I left my beloved cell phone in one of the bathroom stalls and it disappeared with some 'lucky' (and dishonest- karma is a beyotch) individual (my mom turns over $1000 and someone won't turn in a phone?).... anyways, we also picked up two more bases for the travel system at a consignment store for a steal- only $15 each and then the donut store next door (no, cravings do NOT end once you have the baby- ha!).  (As for the cell phone? Well "Daddy" was nice enough to buy "Mommy" an iPhone for my 'push' present- yay!)

Our days and nights have been filled with feedings, diaper changes (and if you are Daddy- multiple ones at a time- Kiera has a way of doing her duty in the middle of changes with him!), trying to pick up the house, and a constant parade of visitors and fortunately even sleep!  Kiera manages to sleep in about four hour chunks through the night, and we alternate getting up with her, so neither of us is completely sleep deprived. 

We are adjusting more and more every day to life with an infant; and for new parents we aren't doing so badly. I read in one of the six or so books on "The First Year" that as long as the house is still standing and the baby is breathing, is fed and changed, you are doing okay. Not only is the house still standing, but it is semi- clean (as of today, and my dear, dear step-momster has even offered up her cleaning lady once a month to help out- bless her!), and Jason and I are also fed, changed and breathing- so we're batting 1,000! It has certainly helped that we have had a third set hands around from either my Mom or another family member nearly every day.... I highly recommend that any new parent willingly and gratefully accepts any offer of help from anyone kind enough to do so.

We are also fortunate that she is a very, very good baby- mellow and happy and not very fussy... but she does like her food (she gets that from Daddy) and eats like a champ,,. and eats... and eats.  (She's up to about 3.5 oz at a feeding)  We also feel blessed that she doesn't mind her car seat, and likes baths too!  Lucky.  That's about the way to describe it!  Lucky that we have her, and each other, and people who love all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!